The Divorce Is Final, Now What?

After the divorce is final it’s normal to breathe a sigh of relief, and then find yourself wondering where to go from here? This is a logical question, and there are a number of things you should consider wrapping up before finally putting the past behind you.

Tie Up Loose Ends

During a marriage, there was may have been property in your name only. It’s also likely that some property or credit was in both of your names. It’s important to ensure property that’s reverted back to you after the divorce is in your name only. It is very important to change your bank account to the name you will be using now if this has changed. Check to see if the account included insurance. If the name of the beneficiary was listed as your ex-spouse this should be changed as well as other details of the account which named your ex-spouse. The same is true of credit cards. You will need to have lines of credit in your own name, and any information on the account should now exclude your former spouse’s name. Debts that you have agreed to pay should also be changed to reflect your name only so the process of establishing a strong credit is simpler.

Check Through Paperwork

After a divorce, there’s still paperwork to look over carefully. Starting with the divorce papers, make sure that no modifications are necessary. If you have any questions or believe the terms are not as agreed upon then it is possible to ask for modifications. When these issues occur, it is best to seek a modification quickly. The longer you wait the less likely a judge will agree to make changes after the divorce is final. In many situations, judges will only agree to certain modifications if you can prove you made the agreement under threat, or couldn’t understand the terms.

Getting Modifications

After finding terms to modify it is necessary to have your lawyer file the paperwork with the judge. Typically, modifications will need to be presented in court within thirty days of the divorce. If your spouse does agree to the modifications the judge will still need to review the paperwork and the changes. If your former spouse appeals, the judge will either side with you on the changes or agree with your ex-spouse. When the judge refuses to make changes, then the divorce terms will remain the same. It is rare that changes are made without the consent of both parties. An appeal is possible, but if the judge believes you understood the conditions of the original agreement it is unlikely modifications will be made.

Law Office of Anne Dowden Saxton

At every stage of a divorce, it is best to have legal representation you can trust. With the aid of our qualified and experienced lawyers, it is possible to have help in clearing up issues such as modifications, changing your married status on personal property and assets, or making an appeal regarding your divorce. Contacting the law office of Anne Dowden Saxton can guide you in family legalities such as divorce, child support, modifications and premarital agreements. Call us today for a free consultation.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>